Day Fourteen: Micahia


Daniel O’Connell:
             liberator of Catholic Irish 
Today was day thirteen, our last full day together before we all go back to our perspective lives. Today we visited Maynooth University, went on a boat tour, and had time at dinner to reflect on some of our favorite experiences while in Ireland. My favorite experience will be discussed below, but I think I can speak for all my classmates and myself when I say this trip has changed us in more ways than we might want to admit.  Some of us even desire to stay and pursue career opportunities in Ireland. I personally have been challenged through everything we have experienced and learned during this trip. Coming into this trip I knew I wanted to have an open mind, but I had a lot of misconceptions about how everyday life would look like in Ireland and about the demographic of the people. I was extremely shocked by the amount of diversity I say walking throughout the country in Dublin and even in the northern counties. I was also shocked how friendly and inviting all the people were. l think my misconceptions definitely came from media outlets who talked about how dangerous it was to travel outside of the country, and TV shows that displayed untrue narratives and stereotypes of Irish culture.
My favorite experience throughout the tip was the common theme of global connectedness. I started to realize this the first day when we were discussing DanielO’Connell and his fight for liberation for the Irish people. Learning about his similarities to multiple US liberators and finding out he introduced Douglas Fredrick to a crowd in Dublin was astonishing.  Who would have though Douglas Fredrick visited Ireland? Another realization, and a turning point for me, was when we stopped in Derry, on day ten. We were able to take a tour with our lovely guide Rory. He explained the history of the civil war fought between the nationalist (mostly Catholics & Irish Native) and the loyalist (Protestants & loyal followers of the Queen). Since he grew up in the civil unrest, he was able to give us a
Memorial for the 14 victims
           of Bloody Sunday
detailed past and present perspective. He explained an incident named Bloody Sunday where peaceful protest turned bloody, killing 14 individuals, many individuals who passed were only years old. The incident ultimately has lead to current peace. Ireland’s civil war struck a cord in me, because it has so many similarities to the US civil rights movement and civil war, and even the continual civil unrest in Gaza. In Derry, they even displayed a painted wall of solidarity of Gaza’s flag colors and pictures of individuals who have passed. Overall, we are all human. We have had so many opportunities to learn that concept throughout this trip. It doesn’t matter what race, sexual orientation, religion, ability, or nationality you are we ultimately all face similar
Overall, this time abroad has helped me to discover the new goal and desire to travel to other countries. I want to continue my learning outside of the classroom and find opportunities to interact and connect with people from different cultures and backgrounds. I currently do not want to change my career path or anything, but I do want to figure out what I am passionate about and incorporate that into my career. For the time being, openness, tolerance, and understanding are definitely some traits that I will continue to use in my practice throughout my professional career.  I also want this to be the last time I take my misconceptions or pre-narratives about a culture or country with me when I travel.  I do think its important to do some research to make sure you are safe when abroad, but do not let anyone stop you in your desire to do anything. I want to be open to the experience of life.



Oldest native tree in Ireland on Maynooth's campus

Comments